Thursday, November 29, 2012
Sunday, November 25, 2012
I finally had enough success drawing/'painting my wife Lecia that I am able to post this. (of course this refers to my most recent attempts. I have actually drawn and painted her before). The first attempt was done weeks ago and is shown in the first slide. The second attempt at a watercolor is actually in my last slideshow post. So earlier this week I broke down and did a drawing of one of my favorite photos. Unfortunately it's not the candid picture I was looking for in a piece.
|A little more work to do on this one.|
Monday, November 19, 2012
And it is later: Wed. So after looking at the painting I knew that I liked the sky, but wasn't sure about the building (school) on the left. Then something struck me. I think this painting would really work if more of the sky was featured in the top half. Too much foreground and not enough back ground. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I realize the sky could have really brought this to life. Lesson noted
Saturday, November 17, 2012
The preview in this link for Daniel Gerhartz got me going. Unfortunately downpours and painting usually don't mix. (without a very strong umbrella)
I seemed to have managed only one successful painting of my wife Lecia in over 2 years. I feel the need to make more of an effort. I've tried twice in the last two to three weeks with no success. I did this one about two months after I started painting again, and although it isn't very detailed, I was pretty satisfied with the likeness.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Saturday, November 10, 2012
|"Photo op" with Artist Gary Everest|
|I was trying to find an artist online to show Gary. Looks like I'm dozing off here.|
|Detail of one of Gary's paintings. I cut myself out of it, so my shoulder is visible in lower left corner.|
As for that painting I was going to knock out this morning. I will have to address that topic later. Suffice it to say it did not turn out as planned, but I did get something painted.
Thursday, November 1, 2012
|At this point, I knew I was in trouble, but thought there were some possibilities|
|In between removing and adding layers....A muddy mess at this point, so how much more damage can be done...should I give up or see if I can do some sort of magic here...I think it's move on time. But I hate failures like this.|
The reason I decided this morning to post, is because one can always learn from mistakes, disasters, failures. This one started out with a light Gouache wash on Bristol Plate. That would allow me to work it without killing the paper. Unfortunately it was too much white, and the mud began to show early. Nonetheless, I tried to move thru, thinking something good might emerge. In the top photo, things were starting to look okay, but it bothered me how dull, yet busy it looked. I scrubbed off all those little hilites and confusing shapes in the background, but that revealed all the flaws in the subject...it doesn't help that my enthusiasm for painting flowers is minimal at best. I hated the flower shape and tried to give it some sort of believability.
It has not even come close to that.
I am now at the point where I will have to decide whether or not to scrub the mission.
|Yes it can be done...This is the successful flower I did last year..Please Read RH's comment and my reply below|