Sunday, February 24, 2013

Messing around with paint Arena Shawn style: Abstract

Anyone who has seen Arena Shawn's incredible watercolors (which I am sure includes most everyone who sees this post) will recognize the colors and similar technique in this abstract flower painting.  I wanted to see how she achieved the dynamic backgrounds in her paintings.  So I put some greens in with Davys Gray.  Then I dropped some yellows and reds and messed around with shapes and scrubbing.  I've mentioned before how I don't really enjoy painting flowers.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing them painted by artists as accomplished as Arena Shawn (TTSIC blog). And if anyone can inspire one to paint flowers, it is her.  It was an enjoyable little exercise, and I learned some things I can use later in my still life painting.  Thanks Arena.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Celeste. I'm working on making my paintings more vibrant. I thought that taking a page from how Arena Shawn paints would help do that.

      Delete