|Saturday on Max 14" X18" Acrylic on Canvas Panel|
I spent the better part of my Wednesday attempting another cityscape. It did not go well. However, as with most paintings I learned a few things along the way. I was also reminded of a couple of things. The most important being that you can never compromise on the composition. I thought I could compose the painting without precisely measuring the angles. I was wrong. No matter what I tried the painting was just a little off. I had to scrap the entire painting and choose a new subject. So Saturday I chose this challenging scene of a Max train going up the downtown transit mall. I had shied away from this because I wasn't sure how the Max train would end up looking. But I really liked the scene.
I thought I would start by painting some of the train to get some practice with the values and angles. So I began to paint over the last painting. As it progressed I realized that it was going well enough that I should continue. By Sunday morning I had committed to this version. So what had started as an exercise painting over the last panel ended up being a finished painting.
On a side note, I took photos of the process. At one point I washed the entire top of the painting with white to get rid of the painting beneath. This created a very interesting fog like effect with the buildings in the background of the old painting creating ghostly images and the train emerging into the foreground. I liked it so much I almost left it as it was, but I was determined to try to finish the scene. And I thought I could always go back later, wash it out and achieve the same effect. Later as I was putting in the trees, I decided to try and go back to the wash. This didn't work because the trees were now part of the painting and the effect was not believable enough.
Unfortunately the photos I took of this effect have been lost forever. When I shut off my old camera, the lense refused to retract into the body. Long story short, the camera was in my pocket, and when I went to change clothes today, I stepped on the lense and effectively killed the thing. The photos are in the camera's internal memory (another result of the dying camera) and it will not power up. So new painting, and new camera today. Both were long overdue.