I started by making a quick sketch of some trees in the foreground and a stand of trees on the left. I had no idea what the right background would look like, but I wanted to get to painting so I took a chance and threw some paint on.
At this point I was playing with fire, but I didn't care. I had blues scattered all over the place with a few trees blocked in and went to work. As a result of my impatience, and lack of a reference photo, I spent a lot of time laying colors in, taking them out and putting others in. I was so impatient to get going, I didn't bother to use the 3 Ply Plate Bristol. This would have allowed some nice "happy accidents" and the paper would have been more forgiving. The cold pressed Canson 140lb I used actually does alright until you push too many washes too soon onto it. You can't blot it with a paper towel too much or the paper fiber starts to wear, leaving that overworked texture to it.